Monday, September 11, 2006

The Land of Make Believe

This might end up longer in the future if I choose to work on it. For some odd reason I've felt exceedingly silly these last few days. Below is the result. It's silly. I like it.

Come with me
to the land of make believe
where we will lift each other's blindfolds
and tiptoe through the tulips
(those naughty, naughty tulips).

"We have no bananas," you will say.
"But we have mangoes!" I will reply.
"Mangoes with an e?"
"Of course - they're the sweetest kind."

We will laugh and we will shrug, and be inscrutable together
while the clouds crash so crustily and the grass grows so grustily.
"Grustily isn't a word," you will object.
"Have a mango," I will reply, and the tulips will laugh.

Someday perhaps
I will be telling this to a child
(their face smeared with syrupy sugar
and love)
of how, once upon a time,
a friend and I walked down that yellow brick road
where the tulips sway in the breeze,
and we had no bananas.
No, we had no bananas that day.

But we had mangoes.

No comments: