Saturday, September 23, 2006

My Mom is Crazy

So, for some odd reason, I wake up at 8:20 this morning. It must have been my Spidey sense, because 10 minutes later, lo and behold, my phone rings.

"Hello?"
"Hi, it's mom."
"Hi mom."
"I was just wondering - do you have enough money?"
"Uh - yeah."
"Ok, because if you need money, you know all you have to do is ask."
"Yeah mom."
"So when are you coming back?"
"Um...I'm not?"
"So what are you going to do?"
"I'm extending my visa."
"Well, when will you know if that will work?"
"...in a few months? But there's no reason why it shouldn't be extended."
"Well...ok. But if it doesn't work out, then you should just come home. And no need to get a condo or anything, I don't know what dad is talking about, you can just come home."
(let me interject here for a moment - I don't know what dad is talking about either, he hasn't mentioned a word of moving back to Canada and into a condo, other than a discussion relatively similar to the one above, about my visa status and whether or not I would be deported anytime in the near future. It's been discussed that if I came home, he would basically set me up with one, but as the former has not happened and hopefully will not happen, the latter is somewhat of a moot point to my mind)
"Uh - ok."
"Well, I just wanted to say that."
"........ok."
Bye, etc.

Sigh.

I have, however, realized what's the cause of my mom's sudden uptick in crazality: she's got empty nest syndrome, as my younger brother just moved to Scotland for college (yes, I know - Scotland? How's that for a head scratcher. The way I look at it, each the sons has moved further and further out for college, for whatever reason. My older brother went to a college about 45 minutes away. I first went to one 3 hours away. My younger brother chose to cross the Atlantic. It's like each of us was trying to get away, but each subsequent brother saw that the distance travelled hadn't quite been far enough, so they had to go a bit further. If there was a 4th brother, he'd probably go to school in Japan or China or something. Terrible, isn't it?) Anyways, now my mom is all alone in that rather large house, which is somewhat sad but also simply part of the inevitability of life. Or - come to think of it, maybe it isn't in her mind, with the whole three-generations-of-Asians-under-one-roof thing. Still, it's not my responsibility to make her happy - or is it? Asians (again, those tricksey Asians) would probably vehemently disagree with me. Oh well, guess I'm a bad son. She probably should have figured that out when I first failed out of college and refused to become a lawyer.

No comments: