Thursday, January 18, 2007

False Idols

So I have this friend here who, for some reason, keeps telling me I should consider auditioning for Canadian Idol, which is, of course, the Canadian (read: crappier) version of American Idol.

I'm not quite sure how to take it. On the one hand, yes, he is correct in saying I have relatively little to lose. On the other hand, I find it difficult to determine which would be more embarassing: to be cut in one of the early purges of the wholesale cattle call, or to make it on tv and then get cut. I am, of course, assuming that I'd be able to avoid coming across as an delusional no-talent, which might not be the best assumption to make.

I don't quite know why he keeps mentioning it, and it's beginning to irritate me. Yes, I could approach it as just another audition. No, I don't think I'd have much of a chance of winning - I don't think I have anywhere near a strong enough voice. I'm not being all falsely modest, I just think I have a realistic idea of what I sound like and what I'm capable of. Could I make it to the televised rounds? Possibly, I'm not too sure how strong the candidate fields are up here; I don't think I could in America. So, yes, that could potentially mean exposure. But how is that going to serve me in the future? Doors might open, but it would always be as, "the Canadian Idol contestant," at least until something else could legitimately be used to label me.

People do it, though, right? Is it self-indulgent and pretentious to say that there are certain things that I am unwilling to do? Should I suck it up, go and take whatever happens, especially since nothing is likely to happen? What the hell would I sing?

I feel really scatterbrained today; I can't even seem to focus enough on this to make it interesting. The feeling actually started late yesterday, but I haven't shaken it yet. Maybe a shower will help.

No comments: