Monday, March 05, 2007

Some Things'll Never...

I was recently informed of two things: that I dote on the women I become attached to, and that I'm far less entertaining when I'm sappy.

The person who said the former went on to say that it made me "safe," as far as women were concerned; that it was neither good, nor bad in and of itself; that it simply was.

Personally, I find that thought repulsive, all the more so because it's true.

One of the things in Sandman that speaks to me is the theme of change that runs through it, a theme which necessarily is found in any good story that spans several years in its telling. Morpheus changes throughout the series (indeed, throughout his "lifetime", as the series depicts him at many different points in his existence), but in the end is forced (or, perhaps, chooses) to face his limitations. And so, tiring of the struggle, he moves on.

I do not know if it is possible for people to change.

That reeks of such self-indulgence. "People can't change, so why bother trying?" I don't mean it to that extreme; as I've said in this space before, just because there might not be the possibility of wholesale change or amelioration, it does not follow that we should not strive to be better than we are.

In some ways, I suppose I do not want to change; perhaps that is the true problem. I've never wanted to be the cloying, annoying person draped all over a significant other in public, but when I care for someone I see nothing wrong with letting them know. I love fiercely and I love passionately, and I don't think those are bad things. They are somewhat nonsensical (I shudder at the use of adverbs, and hear acting teachers saying, "Show me 'fiercely,' you silly bastard."), but not categorically bad.

Still, it seems to be undesireable to project so much onto someone else, both for one's own identity and because it's unfair (not to mention annoying) to that person. I'm sure in my case it comes from my own specific circumstances and background; I could spend all sorts of time wallowing in a pathetic Psych 101 exploration of my neuroses.

I think I'll avoid that. For now.

Suffice to say I am aware of this shortcoming in myself, and am seeking a middle ground.

1 comment:

Stefne Mercedes said...

Maybe if you take a look at my new space, you'll become less sappy by swiss-mosis (Shameless plug, yes I know). But I come in peace, with a prayer to the great canasian. Oh god of all things tech, please help me add some spiffy stuff to my page?