Thursday, June 29, 2006

Leonard Cohen is Cooler Than You

In the past couple of months I've run into a couple people who've extolled the virtues of one Leonard Cohen. When I saw the reviews for this puppy, I figured it would be a good way to get a taste of his poetry and music as well as a notch on my indie film belt, something I'm always looking to add to. Sure enough, it was an awesome flick, wholly recommended; part biopic, part concert film and part interview. The only thing that's a little disappointing is that there isn't more of Cohen himself performing; most of the songs were filmed at a tribute concert, and while some of the performances are incredible, others are less so. As the review quote on that page indicates, Antony's version of If It Be Your Will is probably the best, followed by Hallelujah, of which I'd already heard Rufus Wainwright's recording. I hope there's a soundtrack out or about to come out, because I really want that recording.

No comments: