Tuesday, May 02, 2006

They'll Nuke You...If They Can Figure Out Where You Are

So apparently Americans aged 18-24 don't know where anything in the world is. Literally. In fact, not only do they not know, they don't care:
Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
I'd like to take this moment to point out that on cnn.com's crappy quiz (you can find the link off the article page), I got perfect. Go me! That said, I fully admit there's about 40 states I couldn't name - but hey, they're all red states, so who cares, right? Heh. Of course, I'm just outside the age demographic in question. Ain't it cool what a difference a year of life/education makes? Apparently it makes me worthy of this statement:
Excellent work! You must read the atlas in your spare time.
Yeah, maybe I do...and maybe I'm just not a dumb bastard.

1 comment:

pookalu said...

i suck at geography.

there is no link i can find on the article page. i must suck at web browsing geography too.