Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Untitled

Not really sure what this is, but I feel kinda bad for not having posted anything in a couple of days. As the title of this post suggests, this is untitled so far and I'm not even sure if I like what I have down. I know what I want to say with it, where I want to go with it, what I want it to be about, I'm just not sure if this is going to get me there or if it's going to end up mealy-mouthed, obvious and generally boring. Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't be posting such a potential pile of crap, but I suppose that's never stopped me before.

-------------------------------------

She awakes to a brand new day, the horizon pregnant with the sun.
This is the day.
This is her day.
She goes about her daily tasks, hoping to calm her nerves. Starts the coffee machine. Steps outside, grabs her paper. Pulls her favorite mug off the dish rack. Sugar, one flattened teaspoon. No milk, no cream. Pours, thrusting her face into the rising aroma, losing herself in the moment, in the sheer joy of sensation, of stimulation, of feeling alive.
And yet she cannot escape the feeling, that feeling, the gnawing in her stomach and in her mind that will not stop, that cannot stop, that is slowly devouring her piece by piece and second by second.
This is the day she says goodbye.
This is the day she says hello.
Calm. Calm. Must stay calm. She flicks through the paper, not really reading any of the stories, and pauses on the horoscope page, something she never pays attention to, seeking - what? Guidance? Advice? Justification? She is the scorpion, the eagle, the phoenix, doomed to be reborn time and time again; a destiny which she feels looming once more.
But. But. But.
Always buts. No ifs ands or buts, says the cliche, but no-one ever really brings up ifs or ands. Only buts. She knows what is right to do, what she has wanted to do, what he has been daring her to do.
But.
Isn't it funny how the mind works against us in so many ways; knows our fears, our weaknesses, the things that send us to sleep exhausted from tears.
You'll never meet another.
He can change.
You love him.

No comments: