Sunday, January 08, 2006

2006 Booklist

So:

1. The Complete Poems, Anne Sexton
2. On the Road, Jack Kerouac
3. The Sonnets, William Shakespeare
4. Le Morte D'Arthur, Sir Thomas Malory

I'm cheating a little bit, as I actually started Morte D'Arthur in 2005 and put it down when some more interesting things came along, but as there were several books I read in the last few days of 2005 that I could have saved and read really quickly for this if I'd known I was going to be starting it, I figure it's a wash.

On the Road was interesting...quite the unexpected ending, which seemed more than a little sad to me. It's just the inevitability of age, I guess, which shouldn't be sad but is, seeing people brimming with life slowly lose touch with that as responsibilities weigh them down. Does any of that spirit remain in America today? I wonder.

No comments: