Friday, January 13, 2006

Laundry Day Musings

I try not to watch a whole lot of tv; it's actually a practice (or lack thereof) that goes back to my last year of high school. The private school I went to required seniors to live at the school, and as part of your daily routine there was supervised study from 7 to 9 pm. So that's pretty much when I stopped watching tv, and I can't say I really miss it. The other problem I have with watching tv shows is that I invariably forget when they're on, or if I do know, I get busy doing something and miss the time.

That said, there's a couple shows that have caught my interest over the past year or two, mostly on cable networks - Entourage on HBO and Weeds on Showtime are both great, plus they put them on the On Demand channels so I can just catch up whenever I get around to it.

There is one show that I've lately become very interested in, though - Project Runway. A couple of the roomies and I have become pretty avid fans, and (as always must happen when a group of friends watch these silly "reality" competitions) everyone's picked their own designer to root for. Mine's Chloe; I do like Nick's work and I think Daniel V. is really talented as well, but I gotta go with the azn. Also, I feel like everyone likes Nick and I've always enjoyed being different. That's me stickin' it to the man, I suppose.

Santino is...interesting, to say the least. His stuff is very haute couture, and he's decent at that. What I can't understand is why he's so confrontational. In an industry in which the number of working professionals is so small and tight-knit (much like acting), it just doesn't make sense professionally to be a confrontational diva, because word gets around. It also doesn't make sense to go bashing established figures (Michael Kors), as they probably have connections with the other monoliths in the industry, the same people you (a prospective actor or designer) would probably like to get a job from at some point.

I've been thinking about Stef a lot lately, but not in a bad way. She just has this way of sneaking into my thoughts. I'm ok with that. The practice I've taken up is kind of like the approach taken in mediation; when a thought arises, I acknowledge it, kick it around for a bit and then let it go. I'm trying really hard not to pressure her, to let things develop at their own pace and, above all, avoid the dreaded, "What are we and where are we going?" conversation because I can't see anything good coming out of that at this point.

Le Morte D'Arthur is really fun. I've never read it in its entirety before, only having read various portions; the start of Arthur's reign, the book on Gawaine, Ewaine and Marhalt, Lancelot's quest, the Grail quest and the end. Well, now that I think about it, that's the whole thing except for the portion I'm going through right now - the books about Tristan. Anyways, I'm enjoying it because this is the part I've never really read before.

I think I've wasted enough time now. Better get myself downstairs and wash my shit.

No comments: