Thursday, January 12, 2006

Love Actually

So I just finished watching it again, and I have to say...I'm somewhat shamefully in love with it. It's just a really cute, nice movie.

It's a little complex, the whole love thing. Well, I guess that's the understatement of my life. But anyway, it's nice to have reminders that, as they say in the movie, love actually is all around, and not just romantic love, but love in all shapes and sizes. There are so many brilliant and beautiful little moments (and understandably so - just LOOK at that goddamn cast) for every single character, and life is - or maybe I should say can be - that way.

Love is beautiful, but it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of life. Or perhaps I should say romantic love isn't. I mean, the idea that your life is somehow incomplete if you don't have a relationship. The way I look at it right now, every day I am trying to be the best person I can possibly be. If I were in a relationship, I would still be trying to be that person - I'd just be that person who also happened to be in a relationship. Having someone in my life makes relatively little difference to who I, as a person am; it's just an external factor which might increase the number of experiences I go through. There are people in my life who I'm extremely lucky to have, who I can say that I love and know that they love me. I haven't always felt that way. And yes, of course, some nights it would be fantastic to have someone to snuggle up to, but the reality is right now there isn't and what am I going to do about that? Does that make me somehow less? Or a bad person? Of course not.

I would rather wait for something that I knew was right than waste my time with superficial, phony bullshit. Unfortunately, I seem to be living on the ISLAND of bullshit (maybe Manhattan is Cherokee or whatever Native American language for bullshit), but I guess I made that choice, and I'm not complaining.

No comments: