Friday, January 27, 2006

Tidbits

So today is apparently Mozart's 250th birthday. Cool. I have none to listen to, which I could remedy but I've spent enough money recently as it is. Tomorrow is also the anniversary of The Challenger, and if you don't know what that is I demand you either Google it or leave right the fuck now because you make me feel old, like the day I found out that it's taught as part of history classes. I mean, something that happened in my lifetime is considered history. Fuck.

Interesting post over here. Clearly, you know the second you meet someone if you're attracted to them or not, because physical attraction is a very quick judgement to make. Further romantic inclinations, again, are the kind of thing I think you know. You know if you're interested in someone. You might not be listening, you might not want to be (listening or interested), but if you're really honest with yourself you'll know. Sometimes things might be so scattered and frazzled that it might be hard to find those sincere thoughts; I find (and excuse the extreme hippyness that's about to emerge) mediation really helps me through those times. I don't really get revelations or epiphanies while I meditate, but it does still the mind and make things a bit clearer in general. Be patient and be honest with yourself; remember that life is a journey, that the journey itself is the goal.

What you choose to do about your feelings is your decision, of course. But typically, ignoring them tends to lead to sadness and hurt for everyone, I think.

I added Aaron McGruder on myspace, and got these two recent bulletins; they kind of amused/interested me so I thought I'd reprint them here (hope he doesn't mind):

REV. AL SHARPTON CALLS FOR CARTOON NETWORK & AARON MCGRUDER TO APOLOGIZE FOR DESECRATING THE NAME OF DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. BY AIRING A TASTELESS " BOONDOCKS EPISODE" ON KING DAY

New York, NY (Tuesday, January 24, 2006) ---Reverend Al Sharpton is calling upon Cartoon Network and Aaron McGruder to apologize for desecrating the name of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. On Monday, January 16th, Cartoon Network marked Martin Luther King Day by premiering a "Boondocks" episode by Aaron McGruder entitled, "The Return of the King," which featured the civil rights pioneer emerging from a coma and having to deal with post 9/11 America. Reverend Al Sharpton, who is one of the country's foremost leaders for civil rights, is calling upon Cartoon Network to apologize and to discontinue airing this episode. According to Sharpton: "Cartoon Network must apologize and also commit to pulling episodes that desecrate Black historic figures. We are totally offended by the continuous use of the "N" word in McGruder's show. While I can appreciate Mr. McGruder and his achievements, this particular episode is over the line. If we don't receive an apology, we will picket the corporate headquarters."

And McGruder's reply:

AARON MCGRUDER JOINS REV. AL SHARPTONS PROTEST AGAINST THE BOONDOCKS

Los Angeles, CA (Thursday, January 26, 2006) Aaron McGruder, creator and executive producer of the wildly popular animated series The Boondocks has decided that he will join Rev. Al Sharptons protests against the show for its use of the N word, and what Rev. Sharpton described as its desecration of Black historic figures.

"I hope Rev. Sharpton will accept my sincere and heartfelt apology for any jokes targeting Rev. Sharpton in this show, even though I dont recall there being any," said McGruder. "I intend to join Rev. Sharpton at any anti-Boondocks protest action that he may be planning. I will bring a picket sign with concise but strongly worded anti-me language. I've gone way too far and I feel I need to be stopped. What the heck, I could use a vacation!"

McGruder acknowledged that the fight may be difficult seeing as how the series was just renewed for a second season, but he plans to struggle alongside Rev. Sharpton against himself all the way until the summer release of The Boondocks Season One on DVD.

Brilliant.

No comments: