Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year, New Post

So, here we are. Random question to start: are resolutions like wishes? I mean, if you tell someone what your resolution is, is it fated not to come true? Just to be safe, I'm not typing mine out here, though I probably should write it down somewhere or else I'll forget.

Stopped by the New Museum for Contemporary Art/Chelsea Art Museum last week, to catch an exhibit that was in its last few days on a Canadian artist, Brian Jungen. I'd seen articles on it when it first opened a month or two ago, the big things being the three sculptures of whale skeletons made from patio furniture and the aboriginal-style masks fashioned from Air Jordans. And while those pieces were brilliant, the one that I actually found most interesting isn't pictured on the museum page or that other link. It was a cube that had been made of stacks of plastic trays, the kind you'd get in any cafeteria. Each tray represented an aboriginal person (or maybe just aboriginal males) who was serving a prison term, and the color of the tray corresponded to the length of the sentence. Just a powerful, simple piece, and I loved it. The museum itself is real small, only 3 floors, and admission is only $6, so I'll definitely be going back there when their next exhibit gets put up. Next museum to hit will be either The Cloisters or the Whitney, haven't decided that yet.

No comments: