Friday, February 10, 2006

Drama Drama Drama

So what is it about fucked up people? I like to think I'm a pretty nice guy. Probably too nice, if anything. The other night I was out with Cassie and she mentioned that one of the things she loved and hated about me was that I let people get away with so much. Partially that's because I really do think people should have the freedom to make their own choices, and partially because who the hell am I to tell them what to do when I have only the vaguest idea of what's going on with my life.

She's right. I'm incredibly passive-aggressive at times. Well, if at times means most of the time. All of the time. Whatever. Suffice to say, I'm working on that aspect of myself. It's only when people either refuse to make choices and sit there waffling or consistently make retarded choices that I get irritated. I don't really think it gets you anywhere to comment though; I'd rather just avoid that person entirely. Sometimes that's probably not the best approach, but sometimes it probably is, so it balances. Hopefully.

Anyways, we've been having this problem with a former roommate, we'll call him Al(coholic). He and Cassie were dating, and now they're not, and he's threatened her and broken into her room to talk to her on numerous occasions, prompting her to get an extra deadbolt and install it on her door. He's been out of the apartment for a month or two now, and in that time he's come around a number of times (once a party and once yesterday, but I'm getting ahead of myself now).

Yesterday Cassie comes home (you know, maybe I should make up a nickname for her...oh well) and the doorman goes, hey, here's your mail key. And Cassie (understandably enough) goes, how the fuck do you have the mail key (probably not literally)? And the dude goes, oh, that dude who used to be with you, he left it here for you.

So basically, Al came into our apartment (he obviously still has his house key), grabbed the mail key from where it was hanging, went down and checked our mail, then left the key with the dude at the front. He could, of course, have hung it up again and no-one would have been the wiser, but I have a theory here.

See, Al is not a normal person. Al is actually quite a manipulator. He comes across as a great, fun, nice guy, but I'm pretty sure he almost always has ulterior motives. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, perhaps not. But what other reason is there for leaving it at the front, if not to send the message, "I was here"? And what kind of retarded juvenile shit is that, anyways? How about you just fuck the hell off, like any normal, decent human being would. Oh, but then if he was a normal, decent human being, they probably wouldn't have had the problems they had. Anyways.

So today I check the mail and, lo and behold, there's a paycheck waiting for him. Let's ignore the question of why the FUCK he didn't change his address already either at the post office (probably because he gets up, on average, at 4 pm most days after having been up till 9-10 am on a combination of alcohol and coke) or with the entertainment company he works with; this is at least the 3rd one that's arrived for him. So I AIM him (only way I have of getting in contact with him) and tell him I have it. He says to give it to the roommate we have (that he recommended to us...trying to decide if we want to kick his ass out since he's essentially the same person) and he'll give him the key tonight.

Now, how dumb does he think I am? Does he seriously think I'm going to just give it away like that and rely on him to remember and actually give the key back? No, see, I gave him plenty of chances for that: once when he was leaving and he said he left it in dude's room (a lie, as when I saw him later he said he had it on him), and in the weeks since then when he could have stopped off and dropped it off, or given it to dude, or stuck it in a fucking envelope and mailed it. Clearly, he's a lying piece of shit and I see no need to indulge him. So I say, how about you give the key to dude and THEN I'll give him the check, or you can give me the key and I'll give you the check. So he says ok, and a pile of shit about how he wants this to go down tonight, and I'm like the sooner the better, fucktard.

The thing is, I know this won't necessarily stop him from getting in the apartment. I can think of at least 3 different ways he could still get in, one of which works into the whole paranoia thing; see, while he was living here he made sure to make friends with as many people as he could, some of whom were our next-door neighbors, who share a fire escape with us. That window on our side can't be locked, so it's easy enough to get into the building, knock on their door, ask to use the fire escape (we've done that before when people have forgotten keys), and bingo. But Al has to be made to understand (as far as I can do so) that he needs to stay the fuck out. He assumed once (mid-January) that he could sleep here, that I would let him in so he could crash in dude's room. I believe his exact words were, "Cassie has work tomorrow, she'll never know." I looked at him and said, "I don't care where you go, I don't care how long it takes you to get there, but you're not coming upstairs with me."

Man, get the fucking picture. Is he the only one who can't see how much he affects her? Can anyone be that dumb? Because the only other option is that he sees exactly how much he affects her and is deliberately acting this way. And that's fucking toxic bullshit that no-one needs or deserves.

What makes me feel bad is that the thing that's really beginning to bug the fuck out of me isn't so much a sense of protection for Cassie, it's that when she goes to pieces because he's been in the apartment, she becomes insanely upset for an hour or two (at least), and it bothers me; it's a serious pain in the ass. Still, I suppose acting out of selfish reasons is better than not acting at all. I'll go work off my karmic debt by giving some change to homeless people this week, I guess.

Oh, and the other reason I'm posting this? Somewhat morbid and melodramatic, I suppose; Al, in his drunken/high on coke ravings to Cassie, has apparently made threats towards me as well. I also know that (as a dealer) he's spoken of wanting/needing a gun. So just in case something really fucked up happens, this is here. Sad, isn't it?

No comments: