Saturday, February 18, 2006

Whoops

So I was gonna go to this exhibit today but I just noticed it opens on Sunday. Maybe I'll hit the Cloisters instead. Just finished:

1. The Complete Poems, Anne Sexton
2. On the Road, Jack Kerouac
3. High Fidelity, Nick Hornby
4. Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami
5. Sideways, Rex Pickett
6. The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
7. Le Morte D'Arthur, Sir Thomas Malory
8. Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh
9. The Sonnets, William Shakespeare

It was a good read; brutal and unflinching. I feel like modern literature has moved in that direction, so reading it now it didn't seem so life-altering, but at the time of it's original publication ('93, I think), it was probably pretty explosive. A dude in one of my classes noticed me reading it and recommended Filth, also by Welsh; might pick that up somewhere down the road.

No comments: