Wednesday, February 15, 2006

So Much to Do, So Little Time

Today's my only day off this week, so I'm sittin around. Just finished some reading for my modern foreign lit class; we've started with Africa and honestly it's all kind of the same. Soldiers run around and beat people, steal shit and kill and no-one can do anything about it. I mean, I understand that's the experience there, that's been the daily reality for the majority of the continent for the last 10 years or more and no-one in the West ever cares or notices, and I'm not knocking the authors themselves, it just gets a bit tiresome reading it over and over and over. At least the stories tend to be short.

Unfortunately, as usually happens when I have a lot of time sitting around doing relatively little, I keep wanting to buy shit. Yesterday I heard a Clap Your Hands Say Yeah song on the radio (I'd heard about them before and had been considering picking up their album offa iTunes for a while) and someone mentioned that they sounded like Modest Mouse, so today on a whim I picked up the CYHSY album and one by Modest Mouse, as well. There's just so much, especially in terms of music and books, that I'm always hearing about that I want to know, want to experience, that when I'm sitting around or walking through a bookstore I can't help myself.

Anyways, the bands are pretty funky, I'd recommend them with a caveat: it's a very eclectic sound, so it might not appeal to everyone. Lots of interesting things going on in the songs though, good background music that I'm more than happy to put on repeat in the background as I putter around the apartment. Oh, and speaking of books:

1. The Complete Poems, Anne Sexton
2. On the Road, Jack Kerouac
3. High Fidelity, Nick Hornby
4. Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami
5. Sideways, Rex Pickett
6. The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
7. Le Morte D'Arthur, Sir Thomas Malory
8. Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh
9. The Sonnets, William Shakespeare

No comments: