Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Morbidly Funny? Funnily Morbid? Not Funny At All and I'm a Heartless Dick?

So I'd read about this site a bit ago but it slipped my mind; today I saw some article referencing it and went and checked it out.

I don't find the site itself funny; obviously it is sad. What I do find somewhat funny/irritating is that if you look at some of the profiles, friends continue to leave comments on the pages.

No, that in and of itself is not what irks me. I do think it's a bit morbid, but I can definitely understand having things you would want to say to someone, and maybe the people who pass on can read/hear what we say to them in some way, shape or form.

What does bother me, however, is the nature of the messages. Things like, "hey maaan woke up thinkin bout you today miss you boi" and "bruthhhha i miss u more than ever... would do anything to have u back but i kno u are looking over me i love u bro peaceeee". Those are actual copy-paste jobs, I'm not paraphrasing here.

I mean, come on. COME ON. Please Mary, Jesus and Joseph, tell me that the standards of communication are not so low that people can't even type out full sentences to honor someone who's passed. This person is important enough that you're leaving a comment and yet you can't waste the time typing y-o-u? What the fuck is that? Isn't it odd that even in the face of someone's death, people (kids, since that's what most of the people typing these things out are) are so casual? It's like this person has passed on, but you're still sending them text messages. If (God forbid) something ever happened to me and someone left a message like that on my myspace I swear I'd haunt their phone and computer and give them a little shock every time they typed "u" instead of "you" or some other useless crap. I demand well-thought out, gramatically correct prose, preferably in the shape of a real letter. I don't think that's too much to ask, though I seem to be in the minority these days.

No comments: