Monday, April 17, 2006

Rawr

Typically, I am not an easily irritated person. In fact, I've been told that the fact that I never get irritated is, in itself, somewhat irritating at times.

This weekend, I had cause to get irritated.

We've been going through some rent fluctuations in recent months, what with a person moving out/being kicked out and questions whether or not someone would replace them. There are two people on the lease, my friend and I, who've been here for a couple years now. We (she, as I didn't particularly care either way) decided not to replace the leaving roommate.

Enter young roommate, living here less than half a year, who wants to have a "discussion" because he feels he wasn't consulted. Fine. So we sit and discuss. Sure, we can discuss all you like, your opinion does matter, but guess what: in the final analysis, our opinions matter more because we're on the lease, and if you don't like it, go find somewhere else in Manhattan where you can have your own room, share a bathroom and kitchen with "only" 4 other people and pay less than $500. I made this clear to him (the opinion mattering more part, not the go find somewhere else part - I figured that would be unneccessarily inflammatory at the time).

So that night, as roommates are coming home, buddy is going into each of their rooms and talking to them. This is when I'm pretty sure something's up. Sure enough, when lease-partner comes home and after we've been sitting in the common room watching tv for a bit, the roommies all pile in. Some small talk ensues, and then bitch starts talking about how he just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page, that we were all in "agreeance" (he kept using that word over and over like he'd looked it up specifically for this conversation, or it was his word of the day, y'know what I mean? I fucking hate people who do that), that the decision not to move someone in had been made without really talking to the other roommates and their opinions matter because they live here too, blahblahblahblah.

This is where I get irritated.

Like I had said before - yes, you do live here, yes, you do pay rent, yes, you do have a say. But the lease holders make the final decision, and if you have a problem with that, you can shit or get off the pot. AND I ALREADY FUCKING TOLD YOU THAT. You want me to tell the other roommates that too? Sure, I'll tell them, because it holds true for them too. How dare you waste my time and energy. He keeps saying he doesn't mean it as an attack on the other lease holder, he just wants to make sure we're all in agreeance and wants to discuss. Fuck you, no you don't. You want your rent to stay at the previous level, which we already told you it wouldn't be, so now you pull this because you didn't get your way before. So not only are you wasting my time, you're trying to paint my friend as the bad person in this.

Typically I am content to listen more than I speak in group settings. In this case I was not. Since then he hasn't really been speaking to me or the other lease holder. We didn't really talk much as it was (I don't really have much to say to anyone who says, without a trace of mockery, "I love Paris Hilton!"), and the fact that he thinks this might have some effect amuses me.

1 comment:

pookalu said...

i sense some...ummm...irritation in your voice.

i hate roommate problems. that's why i prefer to live with only my friends of 20 years or by myself.