Monday, March 27, 2006

An Actor's Dilemma

So I had my first Sundown rehearsal today, and finally got my hands on the script.

It's weird. So weird, in fact, that I'm not totally sure if I want to do it.

There are aspects of it that are sort of neat. And I think the director will be depending a lot on music and movement elements to really make it come together, which could be both fun and neat. But on the whole, I just wonder: what's the point of it? I don't know that I'll ever be a fan of experimental, avant-garde theater. I find it mildly pretentious, pointless and generally silly. So what's the story? There isn't one, really. Without story there isn't really character, for while you can have characters without a story (see: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), you can't really have a story without characters (see: practically every crappy Hollywood big budget movie).

Perhaps this is extremely un-artist-y of me to say, but there comes a point in your acting career when you say: I've had enough of doing projects to gain experience. If I'm not getting paid and the project doesn't really interest me, what am I really gaining by being in it? Connections, I suppose; also, since I think I was recommended/mentioned to these people by a connection from a previous show I did, quitting the show might reflect badly on her (unless I came up with one doozy of a karma-killing lie to get out of it), and might make her more hesitant to mention me in the future. Then again, neither this project nor the previous one she had recommended me for were paid, so maybe I wouldn't be losing all that much.

And then (if you'll pardon my descent into hokiness), there's my horoscope:

Be careful that people whom you have to deal with at this time represent themselves truthfully. Others will probably try to deceive you and if they do, the results could be even more discouraging. Don't let your desire to have things your way cloud your ability to see what is really happening, especially with people. At the same time don't become involved in any devious action yourself. You are not likely to be especially lucky at such schemes, and you may not want to face the consequences in the future. During this time you may also have to face the unpleasant consequences of past actions that you would rather avoid. You will be greatly tempted to turn your back and pretend that they didn't happen. You may even be tempted to take refuge in drugs or alcohol, but this is not the proper course. (emphasis added)


Well...shit. At the very least I suppose I'll sleep on it. Also, have you ever been waiting for a phone call and eagerly picked it up when you noticed it ringing only to find that it was someone you didn't really want to talk to? Yeah, I hate that.

Since it's late and I've been up far too long today and need to get up even earlier tomorrow for more shooting fun and my mind is going all over the place and wow this is a long sentence, here are the lyrics to the song I've most recently become obsessed with:

Annie's Song, John Denver (don't laugh)
You fill up my senses like a night in the forest.
Like a mountain in spring-time
like a walk in the rain
like a storm in the desert
like a sleepy blue ocean
You fill up my senses, come fill me again.

Come let me love you, let me give my life to you
Let me drown in your laughter, let me die in your arms.
Let me lay down beside you, let me always be with you.
Come let me love you, come love me again.


Might try and write something around that, but I'm a bit worried it might become too derivative. Those lines are already so beautiful as it is anyways, I don't think I could improve on them.

No comments: