Thursday, March 30, 2006

Yay Books

1. The Complete Poems, Anne Sexton
2. On the Road, Jack Kerouac
3. High Fidelity, Nick Hornby
4. Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami
5. Sideways, Rex Pickett
6. The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
7. Le Morte D'Arthur, Sir Thomas Malory
8. Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh
9. The Sonnets, William Shakespeare
10. To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
11. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
12. A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, Yiyun Li
13. interpreter of maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
14. The Neverending Story, Michael Ende
15. Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf
16. Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami
17. Blink, Malcolm Gladwell
18. The Lexus and the Olive Tree, Thomas Friedman
19. The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell
20. the namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
21. Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
22. seven types of ambiguity, Eliot Perlman
23. Unhooked Generation, Jillian Straus

So, I will indeed be having an opinion to express over here. I've got about 60 pages to go, and here are my first impressions:

1) People are stupid.
2) People are really stupid.
3) My God, people are stupid.

There's a couple things in there I find a bit off-putting (her take on the Sex and the City ep where Carrie finds the ring in Aidan's bag, for example), but they're pretty nit-picky. I almost wish I had been taking notes as I was reading (Jesus, can I GET nerdier?), but alas, I was not, and so I will have to try to cobble my thoughts together as best as I can. It's also possible that I was mis-reading things my first time through, and if I go back and re-read a bit closer the arguments will make a bit more sense. We'll see, I suppose. It's not a bad book, I do agree with her main premises, but some of the other stuff I think is a bit on the silly side.

2 comments:

pookalu said...

what about the windup bird chronicles?

i didn't know there was an actual book called the neverending story. i need to read that.

Actorserf said...

Hm...Wind Up looks interesting, I'll have to add that one to the Wish List and try not to forget it. His stuff is so bizarre, I don't know that I understand half of what he writes, and yet it's beautiful.

And yes...Neverending Story rocks. Far more satisfying than the movie, which is pretty cool to begin with.