Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Commenting Fun

I was going to post this as a comment on Nice Guys Finish Last, but (like many of the comments I set out to type and eventually delete due to length), it was starting to get way too long, so I figured I'd just post it over here and then link over to it so it might be a bit better formatted for reading instead of squished into the little comment box.

Do women judge men on their looks? Of course they do. Do men judge women on theirs? Of course they do. I don't really buy the "Men are interested in exteriors, women in interiors," argument because it has more to do with the individual in question and their priorities. Humans are animals, and an animal's first attraction to (or lack thereof) and judgements of each other are always physical, no matter what the specific set of characteristics is that a given animal finds attractive. Would I dismiss someone based on how they dressed? Not outright, but the way you dress can make the difference between someone thinking you're cute and striking up a conversation and passing by.

Now...coming to style. More than almost anything else, I think style is an incredibly personal thing. In many ways, it has more to do with how you carry yourself than what you're actually wearing. The biggest mistake most guys (and some girls) make, in my opinion, is not buying stuff that fits properly (which contributes to looking slobby, as opposed to stylishly casual). Understand that buying big, baggy clothing doesn't hide any perceived body issues you might have (over/underweight); in fact, it exacerbates it, as it falls unflatteringly if you're overweight and makes you look even smaller if you're underweight. Probably 7 out of 10 or more of the guys I see walking down the street in jeans could stand to go down a waist size or two. I remember reading this article in some magazine (I think it was a gay-oriented magazine, actually) a few months ago talking about the rise in designer jeans, jeans that cost $250 and up, and the author noted how straight guys would check length and how the crotch looked, but completely ignore how the jeans made their ass look, resulting in them buying jeans which bunched up in the back and generally did nothing for whatever junk they might have had (and if you think women don't check out men's asses, you either haven't asked or your friends are liars). Obviously this isn't a scientific survey or study or anything, but next time you're walking around, keep an eye out and see how many guys walking around are swimming in their pants (not counting people who are going for that look).

I don't really know what else to say; I mean, it sounds so egotistical to say, "I have style." I take care of myself, I put effort into my look, but my sense of style does not appeal to everyone. Guess what, though: that's ok. Don't think that you absolutely have to run out and buy suit pants and button-ups galore; honestly, though I l-o-v-e getting niced up in a suit, there is nothing I abhor more in the city than all the bougie motherfuckers running around in their khakis or slacks and button-ups, all thinking they're hot shit, looking like carbon copies of each other and complete morons. Seriously, they're worse than hipsters. As an aside, there's also an interesting backlash starting against the metrosexual man (at least among the girls I know), but that might be a topic for another post. Ask yourself, who do you want to be, and who is attracted to the kinds of guys that dress that way? Do you really want some superficial hipster bitch who thinks Paris Hilton is someone to be emulated? Or a trophy girlfriend who's only interested in the size of your bankroll?

Take some time, read some books, grab some GQ issues and learn the ropes of style. There's nothing wrong with jeans and a t-shirt, you see it in ads all the time. What sets the people in those ads aside from Joe Blow on the street is how the shit fits. Granted, they're models and are paid because someone considers them attractive or distinctive, but if you want to look like that, hit the gym like everyone else (or become a coke/heroin addict...heh). Girls have to do it, so I see no reason why guys shouldn't. Once you've got the basics down, don't be afraid to take chances or to follow your personal tastes. Do you, and quit worrying so much about what others think; you can't please everyone all the time, after all. So fuck em.

4 comments:

pookalu said...

yes, this is by far one of the longest comments i've ever read.

and i think i agree. i think....i can honestly say i've never checked out a guy's front instead of his "junk" in his jeans.

Actorserf said...

See? That's why I never friggin post comments. I just start tapping away and before I know it I'm looking at like 3 pages of crap.

And yes, I also have never checked out a guy's front instead of his rear. So if the two of us have never...I must be 100% correct in my assertion above.

Damn It Anyway said...

Wow...thanks for the comment man. That's a lot of stuff, but my biggest problem is not knowing what looks good/bad on me.
Time to buy some GQs I suppose.

Actorserf said...

If you're unsure what looks good or bad on you, get some payback; next time a girl friend asks you to go shopping with her, ask if they mind if you do a little shopping as well, and then ask them how they like things on you. Keep in mind she'll also like or dislike stuff based on her own sense of style and what looks good on a guy.

I also want to emphasize that you shouldn't (I don't think) just go out and buy the outfits you see in GQ, partially because you'd just be chasing after trends and also because sometimes the outfits they toss together look bizarre as shit. In terms of general rules, there's also this massive book, Dressing The Man which is mostly about formal wear, but you can apply some of the rules mentioned in the front about coloring and patterns to casual wear as well. You know, stuff like horizontal lines broaden, vertical lines lengthen and polka dots make you look like a clown.

Most of all, have fun with it; that's another reason why Dressing The Man ain't so hot - it's stuffy as hell. You should feel good wearing the clothes you want to wear, knowing you look good. The vibe that you bring around with you when you're looking good and confident is more important than any crappy shirt and pants combo.