Saturday, March 25, 2006

Lazy Saturday

I've been content to loll around the house all day, reading and sleeping, sleeping and reading. Currently watching You've Got Mail, a movie I've always found cute even if it does propagate Hollywood's idealized version of love and romance. It's also got a kickin soundtrack, though for some odd reason I always thought it was Harry Connick, Jr that sang most of the standards; apparently it's some guy named Harry Nilsson. This also reminds me that I've been meaning to watch the original version for some time now. I'm also reminded of the fact that every time I see a store that's closed, I think of this movie; that line (it actually just got said) about how, "People say change is a good thing, but all they really mean is that something you didn't want to happen at all has happened," or something to similar effect. Every time I pass a closed store, I think about the person who owned that store, how it represented some part of their dreams, their hopes; what happened to them? Did they move up in scale? Or did they have to face a reality they had been trying to hold off with all their strength, raging against the dying of the light until they were left with no other choices?

But getting back to love; is idealized, Hollywood love really all that bad? To be sure, life is not perfect, nor is it even clean and easy. But are there not (or should there not be) fleeting moments in our lives when it can be, moments which can be as pure and simple as any movie?

No, you know what, forget that. I've always hated the fact that things that are, if nothing else, staggeringly real are always referred back to movies; that they were, "just like in the movies." Life is better than any movie.

Maybe that makes me an idealist. Yeah; yeah. I guess it probably does. I'm ok with that.

No comments: