Friday, March 24, 2006

So, Who Am I?

Interesting story over here. I find it fascinating that even people who have been living their whole lives in a single country can stir debate about identity. What does it mean to be Taiwanese? I guess you can ask that of any country (I still don't know what the hell it means to be Canadian, South Park Movie be damned), but in a country (and I hope I don't get bombed by China for calling it that, but having been to both China and Taiwan...right now they're clearly separate countries) of Taiwan's history it is fascinating to see the pulls of different influences. Oh, and incidentally, that park that's mentioned, Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial Park? It's ENORMOUS. Picture Central Park. Now picture it with much smaller, jungle-type trees that are selectively placed in little walking gardens instead of allowed to grow willy-nilly and with the Lincoln Memorial in the middle (that's what that structure in the far background of the picture is, this huge building with a statue of him in it. Chiang-Kai Shek, not Lincoln; that'd just be weird). Some more pictures can be found over here.

On a side note, I've been told that it's incredibly rude not to be linking to the bloggers I read. Starting today, I shall endeavor to correct that.

2 comments:

Damn It Anyway said...

Hey...good beers last night by the way.

Actorserf said...

Right back atcha, man. We definitely need to do that again/more often.