Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Candlelight

In the candlelight I see you, an alabaster statue in the bed next to me. I touch you, leaving trails of love where my fingers pass and I wonder what it feels like, if you enjoy my touch as much as I enjoy touching you. “It won't last,” a voice says, but it doesn't have to. “It doesn't have to,” I repeat. You roll over and your hair falls across your face and my fingers are moving before I can stop them to brush it away. In between the flickers I can see your heartbeat, drawing me in and pushing me away. The room is cold and my skin is pebbling and I burrow down into the covers with you, seeking your warmth, wondering what tomorrow will bring. But tomorrow is tomorrow and today is today and I'm screaming on the inside, screaming in joy and surprise at having found you, even if it's just for this minute between the hours.

No comments: