Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Phew

One of the busiest days I've had in a while; up at 9 to be at ImaginAsian for 11, had some time to glance over scripts and sort through some of the stuff Rocawear gave us because a certain someone was late as always. That's so fucking frustrating. I mean, when you work in theater and film/tv you get used to the different schedules; in theater (the good productions I've been involved in, at least) when they give you a call time they actually expect you to be ready to go at that time, meaning you show up 10-15 minutes early. In film/tv you get a call time, you show up, everyone's there but stuff always needs to be done, whether it's setting up lights or talking out the shot or what have you, so you're invariably waiting for an hour or so before anything actually happens. I wonder if, on bigger budget shoots, this trend continues or if, because there's more money and there's more accountability required, they're more stringent. It probably depends on the director.

In any event, the last person arrived at around 12:30; I'm pretty sure we didn't start shooting until 2ish. Knocked out 4 promos in about 4 hours with a short break for lunch. Honestly, wearing all the Roca shit I think I look so ludicrous. First of all, it's not really my style of clothing and second of all it's fucking HUGE on me. Nothing they sent was smaller than a large, and I've got your typical Asian frame, so it's basically like some bastard thought to himself, hey, how can we make him look even smaller onscreen?

Had to run at 6 because I'm doing a reading for a new musical by C. Y. Lee (wrote the original book of Flower Drum Song). First of all, the musical itself is sorta...not the best. Well, I'll be honest, I think it sucks. I mean, the music is ok, the lyrics are decent, there's just no point to the thing. Personally, I don't find there to be much in the way of character development and so many of the songs feel like they're just thrown in so there's a song, instead of developing as a natural extension of the scene. It's nowhere close to Rodgers and Hammerstein, much less Sondheim or Jason Robert Brown, and maybe I'm being overly critical, but there's honestly very little in the world I can think of that's worse than bad musical theater. Maybe bad musical theater starring washed up television or pop stars, but that's a whole other post topic.

The most disappointing thing has been that my voice is shit right now. I never had the strongest voice (got dealt a fair number of Astaire songs while in school, as well as the requisite Asian Rodgers and Hammerstein fare), and the combination of not having worked on any musicals or taking voice lessons in about 3 years and a couple of throat infections/vicious colds I've had in that same period have contributed to make my voice a fucking terror. I needed to beat my ass into some voice lessons, like, YESTERDAY.

No comments: