Thursday, December 15, 2005

Shakespeare + NIN = ???

So I've been lazing around the house all day (probably not the best idea with the transit strike looming). Yesterday I picked up some poetry books; one being Shakespeare's Sonnets, the other a combination of two of Rainer Maria Rilke's books, Duino Elegies and The Sonnets to Orpheus. I'd never really read any of the sonnets before (aside from #19, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day..." which you'd have to be a total savage not to know), and they're brilliant, like most of his work...I just found that unlike most of the things I read, I can't read them and listen to music at the same time, because Trent screaming something about the perfect drug makes it rather difficult for me to concentrate on heartfelt professions of eternal love and devotion.

Whoda thunk it?

No comments: