Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Transit Strike Musings

Very slow day today (thank God for not having a real job and no classes today). Spent most of the morning reading this blog/story, which I feel very comfortable recommending to anyone.

One of the things that occurred to me as I read it, and part of the reason why I love Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (movies, if you don't know) is that there are so few people in this world that you run into with whom you share a genuine connection. When you're younger (and this I'm stealing shameless from one of the movies...Before Sunset, I think) you think that you'll always feel some spark with everyone you meet, and finding that special someone will just happen. As you get older, you realize that a real connection is actually the exception that proves the rule, and you come to treasure it all the more in the past relationships you had (assuming there was at least one instance, which might not be the best assumption to make) and in the ones that come along your journey (or, at least, I've realized this).

So when you find someone and you feel that with them, hold onto that. Not in a crazy/grasping/selfish sense, because you shouldn't be looking for validation in a relationship with someone else. But enjoy every moment as if it is the last one, and tell and show that person how much they mean to you. In doing so, I believe you can make every moment an eternity, no matter where the two of you end up going.

There's a comment from Memento that just popped into my head too; Carrie-Anne Moss asks Guy Pearce about his memories of his wife, and he says something to the effect of, "Your memories of people aren't really linear; they're more like scattered images," which is precisely what's going on onscreen; it's a montage of images of his wife, one with the sunlight streaming in through the window on her face, one of her hands while she washes the dishes and so forth. The more I live, the more I realize that life is made up of all these little beautiful moments, waiting for us to be open enough to experience and cherish them.

2 comments:

Using up the words.... said...

You summed it all up so perfectly.

and to top it all off, I just finished watching before sunrise, having watched before sunset first. hehehe. My kind of movies - I guess because it's my world. Where I catch those moments, and I do the crazy things to make the others realise how much it means to me.

Glad that the strikes are giving you moments to find the good stuff. :)

be well

Actorserf said...

Wow, it's a commenting storm around here. How nice! Thanks for the thought, and best wishes to you as well.