Monday, December 05, 2005

Wonderland

I wake up and the white rabbit is there, waiting for me with liquid eyes. He beckons me to follow, but when I swing my feet off the bed there's no floor and I'm falling towards a round red door that says, "Please knock." The doorbell rings and the butler opens the door and I'm walking in the garden where I saw you for the first time. I turn and you're standing there in your dress of stars and daisies and smiling your crooked smile. I go blind; my vision blurs and then goes dark. I stumble forward, fumbling towards the ecstasy of your hands, to hold you one last time, but you're gone and in your place is a statue. I hit the statue and it shatters, revealing the white rabbit at its core. "Follow the yellow brick road," he says, so I do. It leads me up into the sky past munchkins and sunflowers. They're singing a song I know but I can't remember the words, and just as I start to remember they stop. "Please," I say, "Don't stop," but they don't respond and I walk on in silence. The castle looms in front of me; I knock and the door opens and I'm in the garden again. I wonder how many times I've done this circle and if I'll ever escape it. "You could," the white rabbit tells me, "But you don't want to."

No comments: