Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Pointless Beauty


www.picturesofwalls.com Posted by Picasa

Really, isn't all art pointless, from a utilitarian perspective? You could make a case for aesthetic pleasure having some sort of utility, but I'm guessing most would not see that as a necessary thing. In any event, there isn't any deep reason for why I like this...it just catches my eye and I think it looks neat. I think one of the problems with art is that people try to make it so much more: into commentaries on ethics, politics, race, gender, whatever you want it to be about, when all it really has to be is genuine expression and individual aesthetic taste. People get all snobby and crazy because they want to show that they "get it," that they're hip and cool and intelligent and all that bullshit. The way I see it, either something appeals to you or it doesn't. And yes, there are many more levels on which art can operate and on which it can affect its viewers, but the core of it should be accessible to anyone, whether 4 or 84.

No comments: